Monday, April 30, 2012

Light Outside the Closet (Haven Coffee House Boys #1) by Stephani Hecht


Light Outside the Closet (Haven Coffee House Boys #1)
Being a gay teen is hard enough, but when Christian's strict father is transferred to a different city and Christian has to go to a new school, he discovers how much worse things can get. Fortunately, before he sinks into depression, Christian finds a new group of friends, who are also gay. Christian soon learns that his friends have their own problems, from desperately seeking attention to abusive family members.

This is the first book in an exciting new series that follows the high and lows of Christian and his friends through their senior year as they seek acceptance and love while dealing with hostility and homophobia. Will all of them survive to see graduation... or will they lose somebody along the way?


                                                                  4.25 STARS 

I honestly didn't know if I would like reading this YA book so I have had it in my to read list for awhile, but I gotta tell you that I absolutely loved this story. It's a tale of small group of teens who are struggling with their being gay, how those around them react friends & family and the situations that evolve with their coming outs. 

Christian is the new guy he just moved to town, has a really supportive family but still a little shy, I fell for this character immediately the way he stands up to those that bully not only him but his friends also is to be commended, his bravery should be what we all strive to have. They meet at this coffee house which is like their haven to be who they want to be without fear.

I couldn't decide which other character was my favorite so Taylor & Devlin are tied I loved these two, Taylor because this kid so needs someone to give a shit I mean we know it happens but to read all this kid goes through Damn! I wanted to smack someone. Devlin cause he doesn't put up with anyones bullshit, he may be a little in your face but after seeing what his cousin & friends go through I get why he's that way. 

This book deals with some intense serious issues which we know truly exist, but it was also fun and sweet with a little bit of a love story thrown in. I recommend this series I can't wait for the next book to come out, what a great concept for a young adult series I loved it

No comments:

Post a Comment